A person commits criminal damage by carelessly ruining the property of another person, drawing graffiti on anything other than the ground without permission from the owner, or by messing with utility property. An example of a utility property would be the property of a gas or electric company. A person may also commit criminal damage by carelessly parking a vehicle in a way that blocks livestock from the only reasonable source of water.
Penalties for Criminal Damage in Mesa AZ
- Criminal damage valued at less than $250 and unrelated to gang activity is a class 2 misdemeanor, punishable by up to 4 months in jail and fines of up to $750. Criminal damage is a class 1 misdemeanor if a person causes $250 to $1,000 in damages to the property of another. For a class 1 misdemeanor, a person may be sentenced to a maximum of 6 months in jail and fined up to $2,500.
- Criminal damage is a class 6 felony if a person causes $1,000 to $2,000 in damages to the property of another. A class 6 felony is punishable by up to 2 years in prison.
- Criminal damage is a class 5 felony if a person causes $2,000 to $10,000 in damages to the property of another, or if the damage is linked to gang activity. A class 5 felony is punishable by 6 months to 2.5 years in prison.
- Criminal damage is a class 4 felony if a person causes $10,000 or more in damages to the property of another. It is also a class 4 felony to cause $5,000 or more in damages to utility property or to damage utility property in a way that causes a safety hazard. A class 4 felony is punishable by 1 year to 3.75 years in prison.
- For any felony conviction, a person may also face fines of up to $150,000.
Contact Us For a Free Consultation with a Criminal Damage Attorney
We are located in Mesa, AZ, and offer a free legal consultation with a criminal damage lawyer about your criminal charges.
Canyon State Law in Mesa
3707 E Southern Ave
Mesa, AZ 85206
All initial consultations are free of charge and we will help you quickly determine what you should do with your pending criminal charges. Our Criminal Damage attorneys and staff are friendly and understanding of your situation.
We can help you if you have been arrested and charged with any of the following crimes in Mesa, Arizona:
Criminal Damage Attorneys Near Me
Canyon State Law has Criminal Damage attorneys in convenient locations across Maricopa, Pinal, and other counties in the state of Arizona. Visit our web page for each of these cities for more specific information: